Éamon Ó Cuív sacked from Fianna Fáil front bench

A second Fianna Fáil member has been sacked from a senior party role due to his involvement in the unauthorised launch of a party election candidate in Northern Ireland.

Éamon Ó Cuív, who was front-bench spokesman for Regional Development, Rural Affairs and the Gaeltacht, has been demoted by party leader Micheál Martin.

The move was announced a day after Senator Mark Daly was stripped of his duties as Fianna Fáil deputy leader in the Seanad for his role in the unsanctioned event in Omagh.

Last month, Mr Ó Cuív and Mr Daly revealed Sorcha McAnespy as a “candidate” for next year’s local government elections.

The announcement appeared to herald Fianna Fáil’s long-anticipated move into electoral politics north of the border.

Ms McAnespy is a member of Fianna Fáil’s National Executive and an independent councillor on Fermanagh and Omagh District Council.

After the event in Omagh, photos were issued of the trio posing with Fianna Fáil-branded election posters carrying Ms McAnespy’s image, urging people to vote for her.

Confusion abounded an hour later when Fianna Fáil’s official Twitter account said no decision had been made on contesting the 2019 election in Northern Ireland.

Deputy Ó Cuív's continued membership of the party's front bench is no longer tenable

Party colleagues have since accused Mr Ó Cuív and Mr Daly, who said they were acting as Ms McAnespy’s campaign managers, of embarking on a “solo run”.

The episode came amid ongoing speculation Fianna Fáil might ultimately merge with the SDLP to run in future Northern Ireland elections.

Mr Martin has previously stated his party’s intention to stand in elections in Northern Ireland, though he has not made clear whether that would be on its own ticket or as part of a new political project with the SDLP.

In the wake of the event in Omagh, Fianna Fáil insisted talks with the SDLP were ongoing.

Mr Ó Cuív, a grandson of party founder Éamon de Valera, was summoned to a meeting with Mr Martin on Wednesday night. On Thursday evening, the party announced the outcome.

“During the course of that meeting, Deputy Ó Cuív made it clear that he was aware in advance of plans to hold an unauthorised launch of a candidate and agreed to participate in the event,” said a party spokesman.

“In light of this information, regretfully, Deputy Ó Cuív’s continued membership of the party’s front bench is no longer tenable.

“His portfolio responsibilities will be reassigned in the time ahead.”- Press Association

More on this topic

'Life is for grasping the opportunity' - Former minister calls on more women to get involved in politics

Billy Kelleher 'excited' to be added to Fianna Fáil ticket for European elections

Billy Kelleher suffers shock loss in bid to become MEP candidate

McGrath cites 'family reasons' as he quits Fianna Fáil's Euro race

More in this Section

Minister rules out suspending NAMA work pending report into sale of NI loans

Study looking at gender diversity in surgery “an important message for the HSE"

Government deferred Local Property Tax review for political reasons, says FF

Garda worry over rising speeding and drink driving


Lifestyle

Why our fashion editor relocated to Cork - and declared it the real fashion capital

Home delivery: The alternative to a hospital birth

Dig deep: Mind and body benefits of working in your garden

Life changing: Four women take a new direction in their 50s

More From The Irish Examiner